Monday, April 2, 2012

Flipping a yummy Tomato Cheese Omelet


For this I have to thank Anil Bhenaju. We had gone over to Prabha Di’s place for lunch, and among all the delicious stuff like Mushroom Choela and Dai Vada was the Cheese and Tomato Omelet. I watched Bhenaju making it from scratch, and was mighty impressed. Cheese and eggs and two of my favorite foods, but the idea of combining them, though so simple, had not occurred to me. And even if it had, I wouldn’t have known how to best mate them. But Bhenaju put up such a simple display I make it every other day. And whenever I ask Mayuri what she wants as a lunch accompaniment, she says “Cheese Omelet!”

Two eggs, one half-whisked. Half a slice of cheese that passed through the shredder.
 And tomatoes  plucked from the vine.

Well, the ingredients are so rudimentary you do not even need to list them down. For a person, you need just one egg, around fifteen shreds of cheese (no, you needn’t count!) and one large tomato. Or two small ones, depending. And salt and oil, of course. Onion and tomato if you are into that sort of thing. Which I amn’t, as I find them too intense in an omelet.
Just shred the cheese, slice the tomato into tiny pieces, and whisk the egg around on the bowl. Add the salt to the egg and heat the oil. Once heated, pour in the egg and wait till it sizzles and then settles down to half-cooked consistency. The trick, as I have learnt through trial-and-error, is knowing exactly when to put in the cheese and tomatoes. That is JUST before you turn it over, otherwise it either sticks or burns. Sprinkle the cheese around, dash in the tomatoes, then flip the omelet and wait till it settles too.

I command you to flip me at this exact moment!


 The end product should send off a heavenly smell, you will be reminded of pizza. The texture is similar too, the mushy, spongy feel. Scrape it off and enjoy!

Not my best picture, but I taste yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...