Friday, March 30, 2012

Easy Peasy (Cheesy) Pasta





Poor pasta, a victim of bad light. It looks gorgeous in daytime.


Do not roll up your eyes and say “Not another of those easy-sounding recipes that turn out all complicated!” Believe me, I am as much a non-cook as you are, quite apt to burn and undercook and oversalt. But this is a recipe perfected by Sewa and me, really easy and yummy, and I make a bowlful many, many evenings of the month.  Try it out, the recipe is enough for two. 

INGREDIENTS
1. Pasta/Macaroni (whatever the packet likes to call itself) : I estimate one fistful for one person.
2. Chili: One for each person too, unless you prefer something more or less spicy.
3. Salt: Well, obviously!
4. Onion: One, since I am not a big fan.
5. Sauce: Sewa and me like Maggi Hot and Sour, and lately I like Druk too. Plain sauce does not do as well.
6. Potatoes: Around four medium-sized ones. Peel, and cut into (very) tiny cubes.
7. Fresh shelled peas: Not mandatory, of course, but it is for me the highlight of the dish.
8. Carrots: One should do. Peeled and diced into small cubes.  
9. Cauliflower: If you want some. Or cabbage, or even capsicum or beans. Whatever you prefer. Cut into miniscule pieces.
10. Tomatoes: Five small ones.
11. Cheese: As much as you want, and I want a lot. Grate it for convenience.

METHOD:
1. Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté onions (or fry them, but I just wanted to use the word sauté in my recipe.)
2. Put in the peas first, and cover while they splatter around merrily.
3. Toss in the carrots and potatoes and assorted veggies.
4. Mix well and cook on a small flame. After it is near ready (you can taste one potato cube, that’s what I do), drop in the tomatoes and cover.
5. In another pan, boil water, drop in macaroni, with a pinch of salt and a drop of oil if you want (I never seem to want any).
6. Around fifteen minutes should be enough for both the veggies and the macaroni.
7. Wash the macaroni in cold water, drain and keep aside (or nearby, I should say).
8. Now add the macaroni to the veggies, and stir really hard.
9. Then add dollops of the sauce to the mixture, so that everything is evenly red.
10.  Add the shredded cheese, stir until the flavor becomes heady and the texture thick and sticky.
11. Mix well, and ladle unto bowls. Garnish it with more cheese if you like, or even coriander (though I haven’t tried it personally).
  

2 comments:

  1. hummm.... yummy yummy... great work assembling all this... m impressed...Miss Junkeeri and Miss Jhyaunkeeri ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks gorgeous even now as well............

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...